API (American Petroleum Institute) offers several certifications for Nondestructive Testing (NDT) technicians, particularly those working in the oil and gas industry. These certifications ensure that inspectors are competent and have a proper understanding of industry standards and practices.
1. API 510 – Pressure Vessel Inspector: This certification focuses on individuals who have a broad knowledge of maintenance, inspection, repair, and alteration of pressure vessels.
2. API 570 – Piping Inspector: This certification is designed for professionals involved in the inspection, repair, alteration, and rerating of in-service piping systems.
3. API 653 – Tank Inspector: This program is geared toward individuals responsible for the maintenance, inspection, repair, and alteration of storage tanks.
4. API 580 – Risk-Based Inspection: Although not solely an NDT certification, API 580 supports NDT technicians in understanding the principles and implementing risk-based inspection programs.
5. API 936 – Refractory Personnel: This certification provides a stringent evaluation of an individual’s knowledge of the installation, inspection, testing, and repair of refractory linings.
6. API TES – Tank Entry Supervisor: It’s for professionals responsible for safe entry, cleaning, and repair of storage tanks.
7. API 1169 – Pipeline Construction Inspector: Suitable for inspectors within the oil and gas pipeline industry, this certification includes understanding NDT methods as they apply to pipeline construction.
8. API SIEE – Source Inspector – Electrical Equipment: While not NDT-specific, knowledge of NDT methods may be part of the overall skills required for this certification.
9. API SIFE – Source Inspector – Fixed Equipment: This covers equipment like pressure vessels, piping, and storage tanks, all of which involve NDT inspection methods.
10. API SIRE – Source Inspector – Rotating Equipment: Like the SIFE, this isn’t an NDT-specific certification, but NDT technicians may find it relevant.
11. API RP 2X – Offshore Structures Inspection: This includes the use of NDT methods for the examination of offshore structures.
It is important to check the latest API certifications as they are subject to change, and new certifications might be added while existing ones could be updated or retired. Furthermore, each certification has its prerequisites, such as education and experience, as well as requirements for maintaining certification through continuous professional development.
NDT technicians might also be interested in certifications from other organizations relevant to nondestructive testing, such as the American Society for Nondestructive Testing (ASNT), which offers certifications like Level I, II, and III in various NDT methods (MT, PT, RT, UT, etc.).
#ndt #ndtinspection #ndttechnicians #nondestructive